Saturday, January 14, 2006

Zoomania

We're buying a new camera tonight to take even better pictures of zoo animals. Ask anyone, they'll know I'm a fan of simians. Mandrills, lemurs, gibbons, and especially orangutans and gorillas. I've taken hundreds of pictures at the Toronto Zoo and the Seneca Park Zoo have been fortunate enough to get some really amazing images. One of my favorites is one I took of a lion and lioness napping under a rock formation in the rain, through the window. See below.




I love the zoo. It's so incredibly peaceful, even when the animals are awake and making a ruckus. I must admit they are more civilized than some of the people I have to talk to on the phone. Even monkeys don't throw as much physical shit at me as these wackos do verbally.

I prefer going to the zoo in winter to mid-spring, because fewer people go because of the weather. It's also much quieter, and makes for a more natural experience: where all you hear is the scratchy crunch of dirt, ice and gravel under your feet (with the occasional shrieking child in the distance); all you smell is frost, the mild tang of the leftover grass and the unmistakeable (yet oddly comforting, in an old-barn-like way) scent of animal droppings; and all you feel is the whisper of the wind and the soft coolness of the snow on your cheeks.

It's always a good idea to bring your own food to the zoo because the restaurants are bloody expensive. However, it's never a good idea to bring any food for the animals. Please do not ever feed them, because they can become extremely ill and die. Here is a memorial plaque dedicated to Kartiko the orangutan.



Kartiko Posted by Picasa

Last spring I saw some Asian visitors throw potato chips into the Japanese Macaque exhibit, where the curious primates naturally scurried over to investigate and gobble up the salty treats. Only because my boyfriend restrained me did I not go over and yell at those people. If you do ever notice someone feeding the animals, please ask them not to, or better yet, tell a zoo staff member and they can address it with the visitor.

Love the animals, love yourself.

No comments: