Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I <3 Star Trek

Hubby and I went to watch the new Star Trek movie Sunday night. We had been hoping to see it in IMAX, but when we got to the ticket wicket, it was sold out. We made a quick decision and bought our tickets at 6:39 for the 6:40 show. We sadly decided to forego concessions and hastily grabbed seats in the fourth row, near the middle, which wasn't too bad.

But my belly would not settle for nothing during a movie. I hastily took Andrew's order and ran out of the theatre, praying there would be a short line. Fortunately, most of the movies had begun, so I only had to to wait about 10 seconds to be served. Unfortunately, the server was sooooo s-l-o-w. It was as if he knew I was antsy and wanted to make me suffer. But I got my Coke, Andrew's Diet Coke and our popcorn in record time and rushed bach to my seat in the middle of a truck commercial. I didn't even miss the previews! For those who know me, you know I must write the previews on the back of my ticket. Must get to that 15-year ticket display project sometime. Anyway...

The movie was, in a word, AWESOME. In two words, FREAKING AWESOME. In many more words, I think it may just rival Star Trek: First Contact for my favorite Trek movie.

The casting was astounding, particularly the roles of Kirk and Spock, but most especially McCoy. For Lord of the Rings fans, the actor who played Dr. Leonard McCoy is Karl Urban, who played Eomer, leader of the Rohirrim of Rohan. He just had the Doc's mannerisms and accent down perfectly, and I'm not just referring to the typical, "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a 'fill-in-the-blank-with-another-career'!" « Il a un jeu très subtil,» as my high school drama teacher would say, a very subtle play, and it is likely that only people who have really watched the original series will pick up on how eerily he plays the role to perfection.

SPOILER WARNING!!!




The fact that the entire story takes place in an alternate reality certainly leaves things open for future movies with this cast - indeed, most have already signed on for an as yet unnamed movie due out in 2011 or 2012.

I can't wait to own this movie!

No comments: