Monday, January 14, 2008

Men can't be pregnant, last time I checked.

So I'm reading the Globe and Mail online just now. Get to the 'Life' section, and see the headline, "We're having a hard time getting pregnant". Presumably written by a guy.

I am so sick of men claiming that "we" are pregnant. No, "we" are not pregnant. She is pregnant. "We" do not have a swollen uterus. She has a swollen uterus. "We" do not get morning sickness (unless you're one of those men who gets sympathetically ill). She gets morning sickness. Yes, you are partly responsible for the creation of this beautiful miracle, but for the love of god, you are not pregnant too.

I understand you men want to be included; that it must be difficult to watch your significant other get attention lavished on her (whether the positive, gift-giving type, or the negative random strangers grabbing her belly type) and little on you; that your physical contribution to the process is ignored while people are in awe of your woman's changing form. But surely, there are better ways to announce your great fortune, like in the following examples:
  • We're expecting a baby!
  • I'm going to be a dad! (or a mom! for gay couples)
  • My wife/girlfriend/fiancée/life partner is pregnant!
  • This is our new nursery! Ta-da!
Never having been pregnant before, maybe I'm being a tad insensitive. But I know when I call my parents at the end of my first trimester, I will not say, "A and I are pregnant!" In fact, I will probably say something like, "Hello, Memère!"

(And for those reading this, this is not a hugely veiled post about me being pregnant. I'm not. I just watched
Juno yesterday and have pregnancy on the brain. Fantastic movie, BTW. Everyone should watch it. Amazing. And funny!!! *wipes tears of laughter from her eyes*)

No comments: