Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Words to ban from my vocabulary

I've been working at this job for three and half years, and have realized that giving five months' notice that I am quitting was probably a bad idea. I have had five months to come to terms with the fact that I am leaving, and part of me just doesn't want to make the effort anymore. I'm getting sick and tired of it - as if my previous posts about "Things I'd love to tell a customer someday" wasn't enough of a hint for you all! - and at this point I can't wait to leave.

When I finish, there are two words in particular that I truly hope I can successfully wipe from my brain.

"inconvenience" : I detest this word. It demeans the person's experience until it is merely a triviality, but what else can you say? You don't want to inflate the situation, but you don't want to make it seem like it's barely worth your time.


AND...

"marketing" : This is such a broad f*cking term that can mean anything from donations and sponsorship to corporate buyers to advertising to who knows what else. So when someone says, "the marketing department", I wish to god people would remember that there are about seventeen different uses for that word in today's business world, and to specify what the hell they're talking about.

No comments: