Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Mmm...Codeine...

So I'm nicely medicated now, taking industrial-strength cough syrup that the pharmacy warns me has addictive properties. I'm on antibiotics too. I wonder how many times I've been on antibiotics in my life. I easily remember a handful of ear infections as a child, with the yummy pink or yellow creamy syrup that I almost couldn't wait to take.

I can talk properly now, with only a little hoarseness. I'm still coughing a little bit, mostly when I change position (lying down to sitting up, for example) or if I haven't had a drink in a while.

See, the thing with codeine, they tell you, is that it makes you constipated. Well, I assume it does that through ridiculously intense dehydration (which halts proper bowel function, is my guess), because I have drunk more liquid in the last two days than I think in the last week combined. I'm not a big drinker; ask any of my friends. The only thing I can usually consume in copious amounts is tonic water or grapefruit juice. But in the past 48 hours I feel like I've drunk about a million little cups of water. And lemonade. And more water. I need to bring my own mug in to work, I think. Oh, and I need to eat some lentils or something.

On the plus side, I can now kiss my wonderfully supportive fiancé without worrying that I'm going to cough in his ear or accidentally blow snot onto his neck. And I can sleep. Underrated commodity, that. Wonderful, glorious sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, ahh glorious sleep, it's a commodity that most people for granted... Iused to until last year... sleep is nice.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many times I've been on antibiotics in my life. I easily remember a handful of ear infections as a child, with the yummy pink or yellow creamy syrup that I almost couldn't wait to take.

Do you also remember the "mustard in warm water" because you thought the yellow creamy syrup was so good?
(bseg)

Nadine said...

Actually, it was purple grapey stuff in the second grade. I drank the rest of the bottle when I came home from school, and you made this delicious concoction. To this day I cannot eat mustard. I don't blame you: it's not 'cause you're a bad mother, because you're the very best mother in the world and you very rightly made me puke up my overdose. My lovely fiancé dreams of when I become pregnant and begin to crave the things I hate, namely mustard, pickles and lobster. *blagh*