Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The End of a "Star"-ry Era

Well, I've seen the (presumably) last Star Wars flick, and I must say, I was a bit disappointed. I mean, Natalie Portman did the best she could with the lines she was given, but George, come on.

This beautiful creature was forced to spout such drivel as, "Oh Anakin, I'm scared... Hold me!" and, "I can't believe what I'm hearing! I don't know you anymore!" (said as she shakes her head in disbelief and slowly backs away from Darth Vader)

Ewan McGregor's transition into an aggrieved, older Obi-Wan was very well done, though, complete with thoughtful beard stroking and touching dialogue ("I saw it myself on the security vids. I saw him slaughter Younglings..." he says to Padmé, his gaze sliding away from the skyline as the horrific images dance in his mind, his eyes bright).

Fortunately, Anakin moved away from being a whiny little bitch like he was in Attack of the Clones. Unfortunately, he morphed into a power-hungry, geminian creature who was at times violently self-assured, and then tenderly, heartbreakingly caring.

To sum up...
  • Anakin's dreams: jeez, talk about self-fulfilling prophecy. Who didn't see that coming.
  • Mace Windu's death was pretty lame, too.
  • Not enough Wookies and no mention of the subsequent enslavement of Keshyyyk.
  • Okay, what's up with 'Code 66' ? Who creates a 'kill all the Jedi' code?
  • I was sad when the hot green Jedi woman with the two tails on her head got killed.
  • Anyone wonder why no one asked Padmé who knocked her up?
  • As always, the lightsaber fights were dazzling and at times, incomprehensibly fast.

Well, who knows, in another 20 years, GL may decide to set the wheels a-turnin' to get #7 in the works. I hope he goes with the Timothy Zahn version of events. Much more adult and serious and twisty. Here's hoping...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The green chick who died is a Twilek by the way, the things sticking out of her head are part of her brain supossedly.